
On and off for nearly three weeks my oldest has been whoooing and haaaing just about everything. School, food, MOVING in general! The thing is this is just not like him. He is really just a happy kid. His even teacher even told me he went from being the happy pleaser in the classroom to being a depressed 30 year old. This kid is 7! I can't have the teenage years start now. He kept complaining of headaches and sore throats. He has had his yearly physical the week before so I thought this was a ploy to get out of school. He has been having trouble with a bully at school and so we thought all the stress of having to face his own Goliath was getting to him. (Don' worry- we have been taking action on this one)
Not wanting him to just bury his head in the sand when something gets him down, everyday I would give him a pep talk-"OK, you decide your own fate. only YOU can decide to be happy. It is a decision we all have to make. You have to focus on the good or you will make yourself sick. Throughout your life blah blah blah....."
Finally, yesterday he didn't want to eat anything and he said his throat hurt too much to. I took him in to the doctor who said- "first off lets do a strep test even though you would know if he had strep."
It was positive.
Not wanting him to just bury his head in the sand when something gets him down, everyday I would give him a pep talk-"OK, you decide your own fate. only YOU can decide to be happy. It is a decision we all have to make. You have to focus on the good or you will make yourself sick. Throughout your life blah blah blah....."
Finally, yesterday he didn't want to eat anything and he said his throat hurt too much to. I took him in to the doctor who said- "first off lets do a strep test even though you would know if he had strep."
It was positive.
I should have known. This is a kid will quietly go "be sick" in the bathroom and forget to tell me. He is pretty tough when it comes to these things. I just totally missed it.
One day on antibiotics and he is playing Tommy Jones, (his alter ego), with is brothers again and begging to make scones.
When I told my father of my idiocy I hoped he would tell me how all parents make mistakes. Instead, he in his wisdom and lyrical tongue responded by simply saying this, "
The problem my dear is not mental.
The problem is as they say,
a problem that is parental
and will not go away.
Thanks Dad. I feel so much better.

6 comments:
Ha ha ha! Oh fathers, always know just what to say!
Oh, I have done this same thing too many times to count. Saying my son has to finish his meal . . . thinking he is being melodramatic . . . and then that night he throws up. Etc. It is so humbling and makes me vow to be more patient and sympathetic---but then I always forget again. Your Dad's response is so funny---I've always been a tiny bit scared of your dad, actually :)
no kidding jayne- they are always right on. Marilyn- I hope your not serious. My dad is a marshmellow. Although he does have those villainous eyebrows!
gotta love the lack of sugar coat there! I think I have a lot of Parental problems!!
P.S. I was laughing about your comment on my blog. I always think about how you said in Monterey, "you mean they just play outside together and your are not worried someone is going to climb a tree and break thier arm??!!"
sorry, Their arm.
I'm so glad you commented on our blog. It was so fun to look at yours and see your cute kids and I love your prints. Ruby is beautiful- we can't believe those eyes!
Post a Comment